Dr. Andrew Abraham was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer when he was in his late teens. Due to chemotherapy and radiation, he experienced intense weight loss, and doctors recommended nutritional shakes.
However, Abraham could only find powders containing excessive amounts of flavoring and synthetic substances. The Abraham family started to create organic shakes at home (1).
Dr. Abraham beat cancer, become a doctor and then decided that he wanted to bring healthy nutritional shakes to the market. Orgain was born. The brand focuses on creating supplements to benefit people’s health and wellbeing, whilst only using the highest quality, organic superfoods as ingredients.
One of the most popular products the brand produces is the Orgain Superfoods powder. The Orgain Superfoods powder is marketed to those who want to better their health but don’t necessarily have the time to prepare fresh superfood shakes or juices every day.
The Orgain Superfoods powder, just like all of the products produced by Orgain is certified organic, soy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, non-GMO and vegan and vegetarian. Therefore, the powder is available to use for a wide variety of people, regardless of dietary requirements.
The Orgain Superfood powder contains a vast array of different superfoods that all provide different health benefits. However, all of the ingredients provide essential vitamins and minerals that the body needs to work at optimum health daily.
All of the ingredients in the Orgain Superfood powder are organic, ensuring that all you are receiving as a consumer is goodness and health benefits – you don’t need to worry about consuming ingredients that have been sprayed with pesticides or toxins.
Although every single ingredient within the Orgain Superfood powder is beneficial to health and wellbeing, there are particular health benefits you will receive when taking this powder.
For example, the Orgain Superfood powder will support and aid the digestive process with the help of probiotics, help boost energy with the high fiber vegetables that are filled with vitamins and minerals, and cleanse toxins from the body with the help of anti-oxidants found in specific ingredients within the mix.
The Orgain brand is famously transparent with the ingredients it puts into its products, so there is a full list of ingredients on the tub and on the Orgain website, under the Orgain Superfood powder product description.
There are 54 different ingredients within the Superfood powder, and 50 of them are Superfoods. Unlike many other SuperGreens brands, Orgain uses ingredients such as types of sprouts, beans, and various fruits.
Although we are going to take a closer look at some of the main Superfood ingredients, it’s also important to mention that the Orgain Superfood powder contains one billion probiotics. Probiotics are essential for the health of the digestive system – they promote good bacteria within the digestive system and keep the microflora of the gut as healthy as possible.
You may also be interested in: Our Recommended Greens Powder
There are 15 main ingredients highlighted within the mix. These are:
- Organic Beet Root – Beetroot improves exercise stamina and performance, lowers and cholesterol, helps with managing weight, supports the liver and has high levels of both vitamin C and potassium in it. Vitamin C protects cells from damage and potassium lowers blood pressure (2).
- Organic Ginger – Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, lowers the risk of heart disease, lowers blood sugar levels, lowers cholesterol, improves brain function and helps the immune system to fight infections (3).
- Organic Turmeric – Turmeric contains high levels of antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, increases brain function, may prevent cancer, helps the immune system with fighting infection and helps to delay aging of the skin (4).
- Organic Wheat Grass – Wheat Grass has detox properties, boosts metabolism, increases energy levels, aids digestion, boosts functions of the brain and lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. (5).
- Organic Barley Grass – Barley grass boosts energy and stamina, has anti-inflammatory properties, helps weight management and aids the digestive process (6).
- Organic Spinach – Spinach improves eye health, lowers levels of oxidative stress, aids the growth of hair and nails and lowers blood pressure which lowers the risk of a heart attack (7).
- Organic Broccoli – Broccoli has anti-inflammatory properties, takes toxins out the body, aids the digestive system and may prevent cancer (8).
- Organic Kale – Kale has detoxing properties, lowers cholesterol, helps with weight management and is full of Vitamin C, which protects cells from damage (9).
- Organic Acai – Acai berries are loaded with antioxidants, boost brain function, may prevent cancer, and improve cholesterol levels (10).
- Organic Millet – Millet is a whole grain, with an array of benefits. Millet aids heart health improves the digestive system, detoxes the body, improves the health of the lungs and can be used to manage diabetes with a great effect (11).
- Organic Amaranth – Amaranth is an ancient grain that lowers cholesterol, has anti-inflammatory properties, aids weight loss and is rich in fiber to aid the digestive system (12).
- Organic Buckwheat – Buckwheat is a cereal grain. It has a variety of health benefits, including improving blood sugar control, improving heart health, lowers the risk of cancer and heart disease (13).
- Organic Quinoa – Quinoa is a grain that is extremely high in fiber in comparison to other grains. It has an array of health benefits, including having all the essential amino acids to make it a protein. It can regulate blood sugars, helps you to lose weight, is beneficial to metabolic health and contains high levels of iron and magnesium (14).
- Organic Chia – Chia seeds have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidizing properties, are high in protein, are high in omega-3 fatty acids, help you to lose weight and may lower the risk of heart disease (15).
- Organic Flax – Flax seeds have high levels of omega 3 fatty acids which are beneficial to heart health, aid the digestive system, may prevent cancer and keeps hunger at bay which helps you to lose weight or manage your weight (16).
Orgain realizes that some people want superfoods but without the natural taste. Therefore, the brand produces the Orgain Superfood powder in both original flavor and berry flavor. The taste of both flavors of the Superfood powder is light and appealing, and the berry flavor doesn’t taste overly sweet.
The Orgain Superfood powder can be bought either as a one-off purchase, or you can choose to get a subscription.
The Orgain Superfood powder comes in tubs that are 9.8 oz (280g) which is pretty standard for supplement powders. Orgain recommends a serving size of 14g. This is a generous serving size, and therefore you might not use this much powder per serving.
However, it’s commendable that Orgain hasn’t made the recommended serving size smaller so they can show that the tubs have more servings in them than they do – it is an honest brand. With this serving size, the brand is suggesting you will only get 20 servings per tub, but you could get a month’s worth of servings if your serving size was smaller.
- One tub, on a one-time purchase, from the Orgain website will cost you $24.99. This means that this cost per serving would be $1.24.
- If you choose to order a subscription you can save 20% on the first order and 10% on all following orders. You can choose a subscription of either 30 days, 45 days or 60 days.
- If you choose to subscribe and order one tub, the price is $19.99. This cost per serving is $0.99.
For such a transparent, well-renowned brand that produces a powder with fully organic ingredients, the pricing is extremely cost-effective and competitive. Obviously, it would work out cheaper for you to sign up for a subscription. However, even a one-off purchase price is cheap. This is extremely well-priced, for the high quality of the product you will receive.
Orgain Superfood powder is one of the most popular products that the Orgain brand produces, and therefore there isn’t a lack of reviews about it. Although we do look at third-party sites to check customer reviews, it’s important to note that Orgain has a review section for customers on its website and they allow negative feedback to be posted – once again showing that the brand is honest, open and willing to receive feedback.
The majority of Orgain Superfood powder reviews are incredibly positive. Take a look below to see some of the positive reviews about the product (17) :
My husband wanted to get some very expensive versions of this for our daughter who has special needs and nutrition is a huge issue. But, with seven kids I can not spend $50 or more on this type of thing. So I did my research and found this. We use the protein from this brand and love it so why not try it. IT IS AMAZING! My daughter has hypothyroidism and loses her hair as a side effect of her meds….since beginning this….no more hair loss! She also had very dry skin…GONE! It doesn’t give a dose for kids so I just halved the scoop and added it to 4oz water and 4oz of her Bolthouse multivitamin juice and she loves it! I started to take it as well and my postpartum hair loss…ended. My dry skin also is gone. My lack of energy…yup you guessed it GONE! I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PRODUCT and will continue to use it!!!
I’m so pleasantly surprised how great the Berry flavored Superfood tastes! I use 1/2 scoop in a glass of orange juice or water. I may add more to my smoothies. I try to use the equivalent of a whole scoop throughout the day. I full scoop tastes a bit too sweet (NO ADDED SUGAR OR ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS!). I love that the ingredients are organic. I believe I feel more awake after using this superfood! Although the percentages of nutrients seem low, the micronutrients and probiotics you obtain are very important to your diet. When adding the powder to liquid, I stir it with a tiny whisk – it dissolves more easily than with a spoon or fork. I’m very happy with this product! I highly recommend it!
However, there are also some less positive reviews. Although, there aren’t many. Take a look at some of the negative reviews of this product below (17) :
I have only used this twice. It actually tastes pleasant, but won’t dissolve easily. The first time, I used room temp water and just ended up swallowing chunks because as much as I stirred, the chunks stayed. The second time, I tried heating the water a little and then stirring like crazy. There were still lots of little chunks, so I let the drink sit for about 5 minutes and came back and mixed it again and it took care of most of the chunks. I don’t have any comments yet about any noticeable differences but I thought maybe others would like to know how to get this to dissolve.
It tastes like chemicals. I did not expect this because I got the berry flavor, but it did not taste like berry at all. I can’t describe the taste. It’s really not good at all. I will never end up using this again. I even tried adding it to my fruit shakes and the taste overpowers all. Just stick to fresh fruits and veggies.
Orgain Superfood powder can be purchased directly on the Orgain website or on other health and wellbeing sites. It is also sold on Amazon. Orgain powders are also stocked in several stores, including Walmart and Target. If you want to see if there is a store close to you that sells Orgain, take a look at the store locator on the Orgain website.
The Orgain brand is not only a transparent brand, but the Orgain Superfood powder is packed with a mixture of organic superfood goodness. The Orgain Superfood powder is also extremely cost-effective.
The vast majority of customer reviews on the product are glowingly positive. This is a great brand and product.
Among the best in green superfood powders is SuperGreen TONIK.
Its amazing how this supplement combines organic greens, brain and immune nutrients, all in one easy, great tasting drink. Plus, you get all the vitamin and mineral you need each day.
- Hi, my name is Sandra! I am the main author and reviewer of Super Greens Expert. I am a keen juicer as I was want to get all my daily veggies. Having found super greens I now use one such supplement daily.